B Stigma-Free condemns the Trump administration’s discriminatory immigration policies as they treat people differently based on their religion or country of origin.
Additionally, the restrictions on refugees is contrary to our welcoming message, as conveyed on the Statute of Liberty.
“Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!”
The need to keep our country safe is not in question. It is a test of our democracy to pursue our security while maintaining our ideals. Our character is defined, not by our actions in times of safety and security, but when confronted by fear. These executive orders are based on bigotry and intolerance for people who are different. Unless one is a Native, we (or our ancestors) were all immigrants at one time, many of us fleeing persecution.
We call upon our fellow citizens to tell your elected leaders that our American principles won’t be compromised. Contact your Senators here, and your Representatives here. Call the White House at 202-456-1111 or send a message to whitehouse.gov/, and tell them that as patriots we must rescind the executive order so all people are treated fairly.
Specifics of the orders:
On January 27, 2017 President Trump enacted an executive order which was in effect a Muslim ban. This goes against the very ethos of our country, and is a strike at the core of B Stigma-Free’s mission: travelers with green cards and visas from Syria, Sudan, Iraq, Iran, Somalia, Libya, and Yemen are not being permitted to enter the country. The rollout of this order has been confusing, with frequent modifications:
- – Update, February 1, 2017: Green card holders are now exempt from the ban.
- – Update, February 2, 2017: Iraqi interpreters are allowed into the country.
- – Update, February 3, 2017: Federal Judge James Robart, of Seattle issued a temporary restraining order putting the ban on hold. This was in response to a lawsuit filed by the states of Washington and Minnesota.
- – Update, February 9, 2017: 9th Circuit Court of Appeals maintains suspension of immigration order.
On March 6, 2017 President Trump issued a new Executive Order. This time Iraq was not included in the list of countries of origin, and travelers who already have a visa were not included. The order continues to target predominantly Muslim countries, and goes into effect on March 15.
- – Update, March 15, 1017: US District Judge orders a temporary restraining order blocking implementation of the travel ban in Hawaii vs Trump
Click here for our Advocacy page, to learn about other areas where you can join B Stigma-Free and take a stand.